Mother’s Day is a little over a week away (Sunday, May 13th), and I thought I’d share ways to celebrate this special day if you live near or far from your mom. My sisters and I all live in different states, and Emily is the only one that lives close to our parents. We always text each other a few weeks before special occasions (Mother’s/Father’s Day, birthdays,etc) and brainstorm what we want to do or what we would like to give, if it’s going to be a combined gift or if we all want to do something separate. I always get a little sad when I can’t be with my family for holidays, you may have seen this post here, but I will be seeing my parents throughout the summer, so I’m looking forward to making the most of our time together! Below I’m sharing what my sister’s and I are doing for our mom for Mother’s Day, plus I’m including 10 other amazing ideas on how you can celebrate this special occasion!
The common way my sister’s and I celebrate our mom for Mother’s Day is by giving/sending her a card – Sometimes the simplest thing is often the best. Cards are so meaningful and a special way to say how much you love and appreciate your mom.
Emily – lives in the same town as our parents:
- Do Something With Her You Know She’ll Love – Emily plans to take our mom to an arts festival this year. Our mom is huge into painting and watercolors and does this in her spare time. They both have a shared passion in art, and it’s a great way for them to bond and spend quality time for the afternoon.
- Buy A Piece Of Jewelry – Emily went to a jewelry party the other night and ended up getting our mom a necklace for Mother’s Day. I know she will love it and wear it everyday.
- Go Out To A Nice Restaurant – Emily will be treating our mom to lunch after the arts festival. Going out to eat is a nice treat that I know they will both enjoy. Although you may live in the same town as your mom, it’s not always easy to catch up all the time. Going out to eat is a great way to spend some time together.
Chira – lives 5 hours from my our parents in South Carolina:
- Plan An Activity – Chira’s planning on sending our mom tickets to go to the Botanical Gardens with my dad. Our parents are new(ish) to where they live, and they have been talking about getting out to explore the area more.
- Book A Spa Service – Chira is an esthetician, so she automatically thinks of spa services. Who doesn’t love being pampered though? Our mom will love getting a mani & pedi!
Me – I live the furthest from my parents (I live in New York, they live in Tennessee):
- Create Her Ideal Relaxing Night – My mom’s ideal relaxing night is sitting on her covered porch with a glass of wine reading a few magazines. She’s not a big book reader but loves her magazines. So I’ll be picking her up a few to send along with her card for her to relax and enjoy.
- Buy A Nice Gift – I’m obsessed with this candle a friend got me for my birthday last year. I love burning candles, and I think my mom would really enjoy the scent too.
- Send A Tasty Treat – I can’t be with my mom for Mother’s Day, although I know I would have loved to cook a nice meal for everyone, but I will be baking something (thinking about my favorite Chocolate Chip Banana Bread or a Coffee Cake, something easily transportable) and sending it to my mom.
10 OTHER IDEAS TO CELEBRATE MOTHER’S DAY:
- Send/Give Flowers – Everyone loves bouquets of fresh flowers!
- Get outdoors – My mom loves kayaking, and I’m looking forward to going with her this summer! Another idea is going for a hike or nature walk.
- Send A Gift Basket – I’ve always wanted to do this, but I think getting a nice basket and filling it with all sort of things your mom loves – perfume, beauty products, movies, a new cookbook, treats, a candle, nail polish, flowers/small plant, gardening tools, gift certificate, etc would be really thoughtful!
- Take a class together – Cooking class, paint and sip, exercise class – anything you and your mom would enjoy!
- Plant some flowers or a veggie/herb garden – Get some seeds or plants and spend the afternoon planting them together. Or if you live far away, send some seeds/gardening equipment.
- Go on a picnic – If it’s a nice day near you, pack up some snacks and head out to a nice spot to enjoy!
- Tidy Up – Clean her kitchen or maybe the house. Just throwing it out there! 😉
- Buy A Book – For reading lovers, this would be the perfect gift.
- Go Shopping – Spend the day shopping and buy her something nice she likes!
- Take A Day Trip – Explore an area close by that she’s been wanting to visit and spend the day. For anyone local, Shelburne Farm’s would be a great idea!